Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Dairy-Free Gluten Free Flat Bread version 1.0

I was to tired to post this yesterday after being busy with cooking and having a doctor's appointment, so here it is now. For my health reasons I have to eat gluten free and dairy free. I am intolerant to gluten, not allergic, so I am found cheating on this the most, but I really shouldn't eat it. As for dairy I am allergic to the casein found in it, which is a protein. Unfortunately they don't make casein free products like the do with lactose. Lactose free supposedly contains more casein as well. I can't even tolerate goat dairy products. It's really hard because I used to really love cheese, but having my health improve is a lot better than cheese tastes. And Trader Joe's Soy Creamy "ice cream" is so much better than dairy ice cream.
Anyway, this post is about bread! If you've ever tried a gluten free diet or known someone who is gluten free you may know that the bread ranges from totally weird, but edible to kitchen sponge. And it's expensive. And well, I like my bread. I am a peanut butter toast for breakfast kind of girl. Well, one day while browsing tumblr I came across a blog called No More Ramen and there was a recipe for pan fried flat bread. I figured I could make that gluten free, so I looked up more elaborate recipes and compiled one myself.

**Warning, this recipe still need a little tweaking, mine came out quite dense, but still good.** I will post an update when I figure out how much baking powder to add.

2 cups gluten free flour mix (I used trader joes!)
1 cup almond meal (this is for texture mostly, if you are allergic you can just add more flour)
2 eggs
1 cup soy milk
1 1/4 tea spoon xanthan gum
1 3/4 cup water
1 tea spoon salt

Mix all your powder ingredients in one bowl and all your liquids in another. Make an indent in the middle of the powder and pour the liquid into it. Mix until doughy. If it's crumbly you can add more water. When it's mixed well form into balls and flatten. Whatever size you want the bread to be. Then fry with a tiny bit of olive oil in a pan on medium heat about 15-25 seconds depending on thickness. When you go to flip it the bottom should feel firm, and be a little bit browned.

Like I said above this recipe makes them a little dense, but it's still really good. Maybe try for a thinner bread. As you can see in the photo mine are pretty thick. They are great with peanut butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment